The Editorial Board of the Canadian Parliamentary Review seeks a non-partisan individual knowledgeable in parliamentary affairs and issues to serve as part-time Editor of the Canadian Parliamentary Review.
The Canadian Parliamentary Review is a quarterly publication of the Canadian Region of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association designed to inform Canadian legislators about the activities of the federal, provincial and territorial branches in Canada and to promote the study, and interest in Canadian parliamentary institutions.
The successful candidate must:
- be non-partisan and have a good understanding of legislatures and the parliamentary process;
- possess the ability to consult and engage with legislators, staff and academics from across the spectrum;
- have a strong understanding of the regional nature of the publication;
- be a visionary able to develop and achieve long term goals for the development of the Review by employing creativity;
- have experience with desk top publishing and Web design;
- ideally have previous experience working with individual authors, editing papers and producing abstracts;
- demonstrate strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills; and
- have the ability to communicate in both official languages.
- is responsible for seeking out articles and finding new sources of articles for the quarterly publication of the Canadian Parliamentary Review;
- supervises layout of articles and checks page proofs before printing;
- monitors the readership of the magazine, in addition to following the activities of the Canadian legislatures;
- prepares the agenda for quarterly conference calls, and prepares an annual report to the Editorial Board and the Canadian Regional Council of CPA, including the preparation of an annual budget; and
- oversees the organization of face-to-face Editorial Board meetings in conjunction with the host and the Editorial Board Chair.
The Editor will also be tasked with updating the design of the Review, enhancing the on line version, as well as marketing and enhancing readership by using social media and other Web functionality.
The position is part-time, in the range of 15-20 hours per week, and would be ideal for a candidate willing to work from home, though requests for space and resources may be considered.
Annual contract range is $46,000 to $56,000 per year. The closing date for submission of expressions of interest is September 20, 2013, with commencement of duties in November, 2013.
Please send expressions of interest along with CVs to: firstname.lastname@example.org or
Canadian Parliamentary Review Editorial Board
c/o Patricia Chaychuk, Chair of the Editorial Board
Room 237 Legislative Building
450 Broadway Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3C 0V8
The Board thanks all who apply and advises that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.